Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sometimes The Best Things Come After A Storm

I never cease to be amazed at what a productive day does for my overall well-being and state of mind. When things get done, no matter how crazy everything around me gets, I'm mentally ticking off items from a list and doing a touchdown move or two. There is no denying the power of forward motion, particularly when the results mean you cross big things off and make room for other things that have been waiting to be addressed.

If I allowed the world to overwhelm me, like it has taunted me it would in the past, I doubt I'd ever manage to find the awesome in this life. I may still get amped up over things, particularly when they affect those I care about, but for the most part I'm focused on what I need to do and how best I can do it. If someone delays me or their actions cause a setback, I find another way around. It isn't going to get me closer to completing something I'm doing if I choose to switch gears and take on anger. That's just another hurdle between me and progressing to the next step.

I don't particularly care for driving in torrential downpours; granted, here in Maine those aren't all that frequent. Of course, there's always a choice in how I deal with it when it does occur. Today, I didn't white knuckle it or inhale sharply when people cut in front of me on the interstate without any notice or proper space. I just managed my own driving and slowly made my way home. The rain let up and stopped altogether a little over a mile from my house, and as I drove - the sun just behind me, a rainbow shown on the road, edging out from my left headlight and stayed with me until my direction shift made it disappear. Stop and go traffic ahead of me provided the perfect opportunity and location to snap a quick photo of a double rainbow in the distance.

I didn't get wound up by the things that were beyond my control, and I was able to find myself in a moment where I had absolute appreciation for things that are beyond my control. I doubt that I will ever tire of seeing rainbows after it rains, and I know that I was able to enjoy the ones I encountered today because my mind wasn't filled with negativity and counterproductive thoughts. These are the same reasons I am able to be productive and let it fuel how I feel about life and all that's in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment