When I allow distractions to pull me away from the things I know I ought to be doing, it is rare I don't eventually suffer some kind of consequence. Since there is little point in lamenting the specifics, I choose to hone my focus and get back to the things that matter. A break here and there, sort of like a mini-reward for work is fine, but getting wrapped up in things and people who post the threat of consuming all constructive concentration...that's a sure way to never complete or see my efforts and dreams come to fruition.
As much as I want to get out and explore the world around me - really allow myself to feel the scene, I know that it won't bring me anywhere in the vicinity of where I need to be. Sometimes I'd like to fancy myself a socialite, but then I remember I'm highly selective of my social circles. The party girl life just won't suffice, because day after hangover blahs just aren't conducive to a functioning, single-parenting adult and successful child-rearing. No, like it or not, I'm predominantly a homebody, addicted to my dwelling and my kids.
These aren't bad things, though I often wonder what it might be like to spend some time in a life unlike my own. Would I be a better romantic match for someone out there...or rather a match at all? Certainly the friends I keep would be far different from those I have long had around me - a prospect I don't really enjoy pondering, actually. Again, my motivations in life have lead me to and kept me on a road that I believe I am my most prosperous following; socially, spiritually, responsibly, and all around harmoniously.
While life might tempt me with the chance to meet people who lead far different lives than mine, tease my curiosities of a world I don't occupy, and taunt me with things I might crave, but shouldn't have, it also bestows the rewards of happiness, success and motivation to continue on the road that best serves me. Being able to appreciate that is up to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment