Amazingly, I find reading well-written books a source of inspiration. They prove that it is absolutely possible to mix a bit of erotica in with a suspenseful, well-played out plot. That you can have young, beautiful characters facing plausible situations, experiencing believable emotions, and be so well written the reader practically devours it.
I have purchased a number of books on Kindle, and until recently, it's been a 50/50 split on whether I loved what I was reading. Digital media is fantastic and convenient, but it's also bloated with content that leaves you feeling robbed of valuable hours. I certainly don't aim to produce a book that qualifies as a time-suck. When I stumble across something that piques my interest, and more importantly, holds my interest...well, that's the kind of writing that pushes me toward exerting more effort and paying better attention to my use of words; makes me really think about how I want to present the main plot.
J. A. Huss solidified my belief that a book with detailed, erotic sex could, in fact, be well-told and contain substance. I found her triology, Rook and Ronin (Tragic, Manic, Panic) a breath of fresh air in a genre that is overflowing with less than stellar offerings like Fifty Shades of Grey. I had nearly given up believing anyone could write something relatable, consistent, and capable of enthralling their readers from word one to finish.
Some day, I will get the opportunity to personally thank Ms. Huss for setting the bar far higher than it had been, and just where it ought to be. Until then I'm on to read her R&R spin-offs Taut, Slack, Guns, and Bomb.
No comments:
Post a Comment