Sunday, August 10, 2014

Beach, Brain-cramps, and Duckfat

My brain was working overtime today. I found myself in a situation a couple of days ago that I have not been in since high school. Cut off and seemingly disposed of as a friend, though the circumstances preceding it wouldn't warrant this outcome. As the day went on, I realized that very little of this 'apparent' severing of friendship had anything to do with me at all. The anger and hurtful actions directed at me stems from conflict with another person entirely, and the lack of acknowledgement, apology, or explanation has everything to do with the distraction of yet another person. Clearly, this is likely in my best interest, as I deserve to be treated with respect and consideration, but the sting and shock of it will take some time to wear off.

In the spirit of making the most of every day, and taking full advantage of a night with just my oldest son, we decided to try a local restaurant I'd heard a lot about. We ate and talked about his friend's wedding at the end of the week, work, and the future. In that span of two hours, I was again grateful for all that my life has become. Despite being treated as though friendship with me has no value by someone I considered a good friend, my son restored my feelings of value and worth. I cannot imagine how on earth I would have ever arrived at this fabulous place in life without he and his brother.

Not everyone we cross paths with will appreciate us, value all we are and what we bring to their lives. There is a purpose for meeting them I believe. We are so much more prepared and possess enough clarity from those sometimes hurtful interactions to recognize and embrace the people whose paths we cross that celebrate every stage of friendship with us. No relationship in life is without hiccups or arguments, but the best relationships are those that keep communication open and honest.

Should I never make another friend in this lifetime, I know the friends I have are all I could ever need.

No comments:

Post a Comment