There will always be something reassuring in seeing familiar, well-loved faces. Even if I don't like coming home to L-town, I always feel as though I am home when I am with friends I've known for years. It is an experience unlike any other; familiarity and history forge a powerful, all-embracing work of art.
Even during those days when I'm in a great mood; most everything is looking up, I find the comfort and consistency the broken-in and lasting friendships offer are priceless. Were I not a lover of exploring the world and people around me, I might never make new friends, because the ones I've had for years do more than meet the need of camaraderie and love. Of course, it is a direct result of those amazing friendships that I do enjoy forging new ones.
The exercise in pacing the way I open up to those individuals I don't know well hasn't always been a strong point for me. I have long been a relatively open book, so reserving personal details until trust has formed is something I've been working on. It isn't that I seek to hide or deceive anyone, but there is something to be said by easing into any relationship. Too much, too fast and a person risks set backs in the continuity of friendship and the possibility the personal facts may end up in less than caring hands.
Getting to know a person is a process that should be done at a progressing pace; light and easy initially, and more involved, and to some degree, investing of both parties selves. Depending on what level of friendship is desired, there should be an acceptable level of depth as well. Clearly, if the basis of the relationship is casual acquaintance or drinking buddy, it is probably a good idea to keep your deepest secrets and the extensive depiction of what makes you tick to yourself. That information serves no purpose in a connection of this kind, but if over time the depth of the relationship forms a stronger bond, then more meaningful sharing would be beneficial to the strengthening of such a bond.
Knowing that I have friendships that serve a variety of purpose and meaning in my life, is quite possibly one of the greatest gifts I will ever receive. To be able to interact with people who connect with nearly every facet of who I am is extraordinary. The memories, experiences, and uniqueness of each bond continues to invigorate and motivate my curiosity of the world around me, and assures me that when I am in need of something, whatever that might be, there will almost certainly be someone I can always reach out to. Undoubtedly, one of the best feelings out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment