Probably one of the more difficult tasks in adulthood is not immediately rushing to point out the flaws and missteps of someone you are having a disagreement with. Owning my mistakes has become easier over time, and I don't feel the need to project because of guilt. I acknowledge and apologize without allowing too much time pass after realizing the offense.
Despite the fact that not everyone I encounter is capable of the same, I successfully avoid finger pointing more often than not. Even when the share of blame is blatantly obvious, and the other party seems oblivious to their own misconduct, I bear my responsibility of wrong-doing and try to move on. I no longer need the satisfaction of an apology. I won't chase it.
More balance and well-being comes from being honest with yourself and others, than in validation from others that the blame for misgivings is shared. I accept that just because I am able to rise above my ego and make amends, not everyone else can or will. The degree of wrong doing is only important when choosing if continued interaction and relationship with that person is in your own best interest or not.
Nobody enjoys being wrong, but a mature, caring person sees value in being able to apologize with grace.
No comments:
Post a Comment