Saturday, August 16, 2014

I Should Feel Old, But Instead I'm Amazed

Tonight I went to the wedding of one of my son's friends. Surreal is how I might first describe it. I've known the groom since he was first born, so being able to see this particular milestone seems so unreal. It wasn't that long ago these kids graduated high school, and now they are beginning to take on adult roles and forge their own way.

When I think back to being nineteen, I can't imagine having maintained any semblance of a long-term relationship, let alone get married. No doubt it is young, but who am I or anyone else to say what is waiting down the road as these two start their life together. I've interacted with enough people of varying ages (30, 40, and 50 somethings who should have grown up, but didn't, and teenagers who are light years beyond their age) to know that the number of years a person has lived has little to do with maturity and responsible decisions.

It is true, my initial reaction to this marriage was hesitation because of their age. I reminded myself, however, that they are both mature, and are as able to make such a commitment as anyone twice their age. What's more, they stand every chance of doing it just as well, if not better.

When we make the choice to walk a path with someone by our side, only those who truly understand the ebb and flow of a relationship possess the maturity it takes to exercise understanding, love, and the gift of embracing the other's individuality. I can't say if this couple has what it takes for the long term, but they won't ever know if they don't give it their all and try. One thing is for sure, if they practice all they little things that brought them together along with exercising patience, being giving and supportive, and really listen to one another, it is more than likely they will build an incredible bond to carry them through the tough times and help them enjoy every ounce of the best times.

While it is bizarre when my sons' generation comes full circle before my eyes, it is also incredible to sit back and watch the future unfolding. There is so much awe and wonder around us; all we need to do is open ourselves up enough to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment