One child is away until Wednesday, and the other is a working man, so mama rolled solo for dinner tonight. I often grab take-out or something relatively quick on occasions I'm alone, but tonight I decided to put the effort in and cook. Even if just for myself.
I love cooking to music. Depending on my mood, my neighbors may or may not appreciate my choice in artist. Tonight just felt like an old Springsteen sort of night. I chopped, stirred, dipped, fried and flipped my way into a low-carb, mozzarella and sauce dinner. Ate it without getting absolutely any of the sauce on my white shirt, and I even ate at the table!
It makes sense to treat myself good, especially because I've had a nasty history of selling myself short on so many fronts. How I hadn't figured this little thing out before now, I will never know. One thing is for sure, I won't be wasting any more time trying to figure it out; it's all forward momentum from here.
Realizing your own value is incredible, and while I wish I had started raising my sons more on that vein of thought, they've heard and seen enough in the last couple of years to hopefully make a longer lasting impression than all their early years combined. We can only get as far in life as we believe we are capable, but what's more is that we also need to know and act like we deserve it. The same goes for how we allow others to treat us. If we live as though we aren't worthy of the best people have to offer, we will never be treated to it.
I want each of my sons to shoot for the stars and surround themselves with people who appreciate and value all they are, but in order for them to understand what it takes, I need to lead by example. Until late, I have been a relatively poor example in that respect, but I've improved by leaps and bounds. Through that improvement I've experienced exactly what it is I'd been so sure, at one time, that I wasn't good enough for. It seems so foolish now, to have withheld potential out of fear or presumption that I'd be thought full of myself. I'm more than capable, worth everything I could ever want, and willing to be the person I need to be to get it all. As everyone should be.
No comments:
Post a Comment