With every passing winter, I give more consideration to life outside this state. More specifically, south of here. I am not a fan of cold weather and once my youngest son has headed off to college in three years, my options for leaving become greater. That said, sometimes it's just nice to know there are options, and not necessarily have to take advantage of them.
As I've grown up here, I've made countless connections and forged even more irreplaceable relationships. Sometimes it's easy to take those relationships for granted. And occasionally we get little reminders of exactly how important a particular relationship was and why.
Venting about driving conditions, though not often, is just one of the many ways I utilize social media outlets. At times there are benefits to cuing the reading, commenting, and like-clicking world into your actions. Tonight I was pleasantly surprised by the outpouring of offers to let me stay the night rather than drive in subpar conditions. Had I actually checked my phone before leaving for home, I might have considered one of those many offers, though I imagine my step-dad might have welcomed the company watching the Patriots' game. Of the friends who reached out to me was one of my 'other' mothers from high school. It was absolutely heartwarming and brought an instant smile to my face. A handful of memories rushed to mind, and I spent the drive feeling fortunate to be able to recall so many great moments.
There are benefits to still living close to the area you grew up in, and those weigh in when considering the likelihood of moving much further away. I wouldn't ever write off relocating to a warmer climate, but I don't think it is a move I will make in the next few years. I suppose while it's nice just knowing the option is there, it's nicer realizing there are so many reasons to stay right where I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment