Today was long and I had to redirect my thoughts and mood frequently. It wasn't exactly fun. I might not have come home to cuddles, but a little Trailer Park Boys with my boys is a decent second. We finally reached the Rush episode...awesome.
I think it's easy to forget just how much a hug can change how you feel. Frequently, my youngest son goes around offering free hugs, and though it seems a bit odd, the reality of it is the free hug movement made it okay to give and receive non-sexual, physical contact no matter who you are. Much like I don't understand anyone who opts to skip the shampoo at the salon, I won't ever be able to comprehend choosing to pass up a hug.
More of my clients than not hug me when they leave the salon, and I look forward to it every time. I think so many of us go through life shutting out emotion in an effort to get over tough times, that we lose sight of how something as simple as human contact through an embrace can actually help us scale over the mountains of hurt, disappointment, insecurity and sadness that we may encounter over time. It wasn't until I became a mother that I understood how vital the effects of willingly sharing your personal space with another soul truly is.
I come from a French family of happy huggers. Arriving at and departing from any family event typically takes over a half hour each as hellos and goodbyes are impossible to say without the familiar hug and kiss on the cheek. Aunts, uncles, cousins and the lot - every single person gets a hug. It took me years, but I finally figured out I should begin the departure process well enough in advance to make sure I could both say a proper Lazure goodbye and make it home or wherever else I may need to go without being late. Make no mistake, this is one of my most favorite things in being part of my family.
Women and children, in general, seem to automatically sense when someone is in need of the reassurance and comfort of a hug. At least this has been my experience. Children by nature are openly affectionate and, in my opinion, the key to remaining so throughout life. As a female, knowing that comfort comes from more than just words is nearly second nature fairly early on. Sure it may have to do with the 'nurture' aspect of our gender, but most of us immediately know that a friend or loved one is in need of a hug from little more than the tone of their voice.
Hugging allows us to connect with others and reminds us that we aren't always alone; that there is someone who understands us, even if just through the need for human contact, at a moment when we may need it most. The act of embracing is the simplest, most effective and renewable emotional resource known to mankind. Make the best use of it everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment