Thursday, January 9, 2014

Surprises Aren't Always What You Expect

Sometimes a brief encounter with an icon is really all that's necessary...particularly if you wish to preserve whatever fabulous memory you might have regarding that icon. Especially if it was a person that is tied to specific memories, albeit only in your life. Sometimes less truly is more.

I rather enjoy sushi, and certainly the company of a good friend. Spontaneity and parenthood aren't typically two things that ever work in a parent's favor...but as your children get older, sometimes you get lucky. That sort of sounds awkward...tonight I chose to go out with a friend for dinner and her bf happened to be in a position to reserve tickets to a show in town for us. I hadn't planned on going out after dinner, but I don't see nearly enough of this friend and decided 'why not'. The boys are certainly old enough to take care of themselves for a few hours and I knew I'd be home at a reasonable hour on a school/work night.

Finding parking, a short but cold walk and bracelet placement out of the way and I discovered we'd be seeing Joan Osbourne. In the 90s I was all about playing Joan on repeat. Loved her. Still do. A total girl crush of mine.

The waiting seemed to go on forever and then the band finally took the stage. I snapped a few photos, poked fun at some slightly drunk and oh so into Joan girls (yeah, I'm not perfect - I can be catty) and finished my Angry Orchard. A couple of songs in, as much as I adored seeing Joan live...six feet from me (ok, maybe more like 10 without my damn iPhone in front of me), I was really ready to leave. I've come to realize that for me, there is a sort of mood that I find I need to be in to really get into bluesy music. I love it, but if I'm not already anticipating it, I'm over it in a song or two.

Despite not staying for the whole show, I won't soon forget seeing a long lost favorite singer. Oh and for once, I wasn't anywhere near the oldest person in the venue. Both of those things should be celebrated, especially at my age :)


No comments:

Post a Comment