Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I'm Fine With The Division Between Sexes

Have you ever had that moment when you realize that you have more friends of the opposite sex than of the same sex? It's happened at several points in my own life and I'm oddly surprised each time I come to that same realization. My closest friends are female, but the vast majority of my friends in general are male.

I'm not sure exactly how that happens, but I've always felt comfortable around the guys...though no matter how much I might think I'm one of them, it's clear I am not. I have breasts. Breasts automatically keep you out of the boys' club. Wicked pissah!

Now, I love my female friends and wouldn't trade the relationships I have with them for anything in the world, not in a million years. We understand each other without unneeded explanation and can decipher the most confusing string of words whether it's about the thing that happened when the thingy broke, or we're laughing so hard we're no longer speaking any known language, or we are crying so hard we're sobbing full sentences. But guys...there's just something completely intriguing about being able to hang with the boys.

I had hoped through the years to get a clearer picture of what makes guys tick, how they think, why they do the things they do. No such luck. I'm understandably disappointed, since it would have been useful in raising two sons. Not to mention in interpreting and successfully navigating dating minefields. It's just not the way it is however.

Of course there are somethings that guy friends provide that are different from female friends. They give perspective from a guy's point of view, they can act as a great buffer in awkward social situations, and (this is somewhat of a touchy area) they can be sensitive. Sure female friends are plenty sensitive and supportive, but they aren't male, and when dating disasters strike it's reassuring to have male input. I suppose for me it's valuable, because it's as close to hearing the whys and probable reasons for why shit happens. It's also not bad to have an ego boost when you most need it and guys are great for doing just that.

Much as I'd still like to get behind the curtain of that elusive-to-all-females club, I am just grateful that I have guy friends. Maybe I won't ever break guy code, but I will happily continue making the exchange of male-female insight, talk boobs, sex and sports and still get walked to my car without having to kiss anyone. Yeah, it's not a bad deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment