When my sons were little, the one guarantee that they would fall asleep was always fresh air. Be it the race to get as much done as possible during nap times, or the laundry folding, lunch making, and getting ready for the next day, I seem to have forgotten that fresh air causes that relaxing sleepy effect on grown ups too. After a couple of hours in the cool, ocean air today, I'm sort of wishing I could take a nap.
I started my morning knowing I wanted some time by the water, and even considered taking just my Kindle with me. Then I realized that it's not nearly as enjoyable without my boys. They never put up a fight, and at 18 and 14, I consider that a testament to our family dynamic. I remember all too well my own teenage years and how much of a chore family outings were for me. If either of my sons has ever felt this way, they are light years ahead of where I was because they don't ever let on.
All too often I think I've lost sight of my sons' willingness to be with me and spend time together, and the moment I remember how fortunate I am, I hope more than anything I will be able to retain as many memories of these times as humanly possible. Photos and blog entries certainly help, but the many topics of conversation during the course of any day like today are so much harder to preserve. Football, water, marine life, parkour, school...the list should be longer, but I've already forgotten some of the comments and stories each of them shared today.
Far from spend my days fretting about all the things I won't be able to recall, I plan to continue finding ways to live in the moment. Taking the happiness as it comes and letting it fuel the minutes and hours that surround it. One day I might not remember how many times I've walked the beach or climbed the rocks with my sons; I won't likely recall what conversation was had over dinner some long lost Tuesday night, but I will always be able to remember exactly how spending time with them made me feel. Nearly everything in life is better because they are part of it.



No comments:
Post a Comment