Its easy to forget the little things over time; those sweet moments filed away somewhere in a bank of memories. There's both wonder and appreciation when those moments are recalled because someone or something triggered them. I'm always surprised at how some past events seem to get buried under life, but I always love when they resurface.
Some of the best memories in my life are the ones that surround being a mom. I could sit back and dig out a number of moments my mind has preserved, but there will always be times that seem to need something specific to be remembered. As much as I wish it were possible to relive every minute of my sons' lives, I'm content to be surprised when a long forgotten gem resurfaces.
One of my co-workers who recently became a mother, was showing an adorable video she took of her daughter in a baby swing. She'd started to belly laugh, and just hearing the near uncontrollable giggles that erupted from her each time the swing brought her closer to her mother, reminded me of my own sons baby laughs.
It's the stuff viral baby laughing videos are made of. There is no way you can resist laughing yourself when you hear or see a baby giggling so hard they can't seem to stop. I had forgotten those first, precious bouts of intense laughter each of my sons burst into as infants. Of all their 'first discoveries', when they began genuinely laughing is right up there with their first words and first kisses.
I can't hear even a hint of those first belly laughs from them now, but I will always have the memories. Like my own mother, every time I recall or catch a flash of their baby years, I vow to wear the dorky, sappy mommy look and stare at them smiling until they realize and beg me to stop. Then I will burst into my own tear-inducing laughter giving them moments to recall when they have children of their own.
No comments:
Post a Comment