Monday, January 20, 2014

A Little Dirty Work



Letting go. This is something I've been getting better at over the past two years. From lost loves to old anger to cutting off the hair I was so unbelievably attached to, each time I 'let go' and make peace with myself, I am reminded of what it means to be happy.

Finding a way to preserve the good feelings you have for a person that you may have parted ways with, regardless of the nature of your relationship, and let go of the negative ones is essential. Going around a problem doesn't really resolve the issue; sure you might move beyond the pit your feelings are mired in, but they will always be there, ready to cause grief whenever something brings them around again. As tough as it is, pushing through the middle of hardships to view it from all sides is the best way to truly leave the bad stuff behind you.

Oh, and this works really well with any issues you have with yourself. We can be far too hard on ourselves for past transgressions and ill-advised choices. If we can't find a way to accept our own shortcomings, how can we ever expect to deal with difficulties involving other people? Life happens around us every minute of every day and it won't always leave us in that preferred space called happy.

Detachment isn't about cutting yourself off from people or things in your life, at least for me. It's more about stepping back and finding a place that allows you to see the whole picture and not just the part that you're struggling to get past. Obviously, there are times when the ability to step back is more of a challenge, and it may require numerous attempts. I've found that as long as I don't give up, I get closer to that peace, and under it all, no matter how much I think otherwise, that's the only way to spend more time being happy. And that is ultimately what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment