I have a confession. I love romantic stories. Not so much the books...although I am a sucker for happy endings. The romantic stories I'm talking about are the ones I hear when people I know find companionship with a like soul.
Today I was fortunate to hear from two of my male clients the excited and infectious tone of being smitten as they told me about their significant others. One had recently become involved with a girl that he had an instant rapport with. It was incredible to watch the facial expressions and subtle body language as my client recounted the past few weeks since the two had started dating. He was ... well, frankly he was adorable. The next was a friend and client who epitomizes the type of partner/spouse I hope both of my sons turn out to be. He has always, from the first day I met him, spoken of his wife in the most loving and positive way. I will never tire of hearing that her quirks and eccentricities make him laugh every day. There is no doubt in my mind that he means every word he says and more, and the evidence is that as he expresses these things, his eyes reflect absolute sincerity.
Every day I have the opportunity to listen and witness the happiness of those around me. I cannot imagine - no matter how stressed, sad or upset I may be with my own life, not feeling the excitement, too. Aside from feeling buoyed in positive energy, being open to feeling happy for others allows you to remain hopeful and receptive to the good things that are all around you.
I don't need to have the same things as the people I encounter to be genuinely happy for them. Simply seeing each person enjoying what they have been blessed with without comparing any of it to what I have in my life, is freeing. I am, after all, a hopeless romantic.
No comments:
Post a Comment