There is nothing that makes you appreciate feeling good quite like feeling awful. Nothing like bad music to make you celebrate the bands and artists you love, or tasteless food to make your tastebuds dance when you finally let something decadent pass over them. No experience is ever complete without having first hand knowledge of how the exact opposite outcome feels. The key is knowing which to let consume you, and which to turn away from.
My son says "Space" from the other room and I immediately finish "the final frontier"; I mean, the crap version of that would have played out with me asking him what he needs space for. That's no fun. And no self-respecting scifi fan would have said otherwise. I suppose that was stretching things a bit, but honestly, my brain fires off random shit at a moment's notice and I consider myself lucky when I get it anywhere near the ballpark.
You never know just how fit and agile you are, until the day you move and some kind of pain rips through your body preventing you from fluid motion. That sharp dagger jolts you with it's intensity and draws tears from your eyes. All at once you know it isn't good, and you know this because you are aware what feeling good and moving with ease feels like all too well. Waking up feeling under the weather; stuffy, tired, nauseous or headachy - you instantly know that something isn't right. Every movement makes you contemplate the pros and cons of getting out of bed, whereas the question rarely presents itself when you feel healthy and well.
Rather than allow being sick, in pain, sad or frustrated to consume me, I try to focus on how it is I know I don't enjoy that current state of being. It isn't a miracle mood changer, but it does remind me that the good almost always far outweighs the bad. It's also a great way to really appreciate being surrounded by positive energy once it has found its way back into my life.
At the moment, I feel like shit, but I'm pretty certain the negative crap has nearly run its course. I'm just rolling with it, and keeping myself open for as much of the good stuff as I can possibly let it. Oh, and I find a glass or two of wine really fosters tolerance and levels even the most unbalanced of moods :)
No comments:
Post a Comment