What an amazing thing, this hindsight. To be able to think back and consider things in a more leisurely state of mind; taking in all of the now known information about any given topic, it's certainly easier to make a decision. Or at least it seems that way when there are more factors before you than just the initial introduction of material that, from this new vantage point, seems incredibly deficient for any opinion forming, let alone choice making. Still, I wouldn't say "20/20" is a fair assessment of the view hindsight provides. Noticeably clearer, maybe. Brighter. Perhaps even slightly more proportional to an actual reality. But 20/20? No, I think perception differs based on the emotional state of when we look back and whatever experiences have impacted our lives between those mental 'rewinds'.
One thing is for sure, having more information after the fact would almost always have had an affect on the outcome of any choice, decision or action, but it isn't typical in general as we go about our lives. Had a different choice been made, the result would have presented a reflection that would likely show a new shoot-off of possible options...it's probably best to not dwell on what we could have, might have or should have done differently had we known what we do now; who needs the crazy-making that kind of thinking leads to?
There might be occasions when hindsight is beneficial, like in making similar decisions or even when the recollection belongs to another person and it bears some consideration in your own situation. I'd be more apt to see this as insight than hindsight, however. Then again, I suppose hindsight really is relative to a specific situation and when it's attributed to like situations, it becomes insight.
I chose to zig even though now it is clear I may have arrived where I wanted to be had I zagged instead. There was a time when I would let my mind go over and over scenarios and choices, essentially working myself up over things that I could never change. Once a decision is made, only other, more informed decisions can alter or correct direction. And even still, the benefit of seeing the past through an ever-changing mind's eye is short lived and relatively limited.
When I was a child, I loved to read. I remember a trend in children's books were the stories that gave several 'choices' at the end of chapters. The choice you made sent you to a different page, allowing for several different story lines and endings. While these books were fun and taught a valuable lesson about the impact decisions make on future decisions, the reality is we can't mess about with second guessing and backtracking to attempt course corrections. Coping skills and patience go a long way in helping us reshape and continuously form the life we are (hopefully) currently living.
It's impossible to avoid looking back and wondering or even wishing we had done something differently. The sooner we let go of what we can't change, while remembering the most important things we may have overlooked for future use, the more resolute we become to just live life and do so with eyes a bit more open and focused. And as always, this is just my two cents.
No comments:
Post a Comment