Thursday, January 30, 2014

Disappointment Comes And Goes, Focus On What Happens In Between

When I was younger...much younger, I hated feeling as though I was missing something. Whether it was having to go to bed before a show I liked was finished, not being able to go out with friends or missing an epic concert, I just knew I was going to regret not experiencing it. And I usually did, for about an hour.

I've watched as my own children have dealt with, and ultimately lived through disappointment. It's often far worse than experiencing my own, because of the added instinct to spare them negative emotions. Of course they would be ill-equipped to deal with life were I to shelter them from such things.

Missing out on things isn't always as bad as it initially seems. There are reasons our lives take us down paths, often away from the things we want or think we need, though sometimes we won't know why for years. Maybe we would have been hurt in an accident, had a regrettable time or missed out on an opportunity that changed our lives somehow. Maybe it was just life giving us the tools to deal with disappointment and allowing us to grow.

I read an article today that reminded me why it's always best to let go of the whys when things don't go as we hoped. The experiences that make up our lives are as much about the things we 'got' to do and the people who were part of them as much as the unexpected things that came about from plans that fell through and people we hadn't intended to encounter.

Unplanned alterations often bring about the most memorable and amazing journeys. There are still many times when I am unable to attend an event, unavoidably have to cancel plans, or miss out on something or being with someone because things just didn't work out. The difference for me now, is that seeing the bright side or embracing disappointment allows me to be open to any and all possibilities that I am left available to experience. Sometimes 'not getting to' simply means 'optimally open and ready for anything'. At least that's how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment