I like that I can look out the back door and only see woods beyond the small deck. I wouldn't say I love being in remote, country areas...well, not unless I'm hiking, but I'm good with the illusion of peace and quiet this view gives me. Nearly the best of both worlds; the serenity of nature, yet the close proximity to city hubbub.
I find the unpredictability and lack of populous in rural areas disconcerting. Crime might be more prevalent in town, but the feeling of being connected to others, even if just because countless others occupy the same space, is oddly reassuring to me. I'm sure a therapist or psychologist would have a few theories as to why that is, but the plain truth of it is that I like the constant hum and noise of the people around me. Being alone sends my brain into overload; too much peace and quiet and I go stir crazy.
I remember going to Paris and being disappointed in the Eiffel Tower. Well, not so much the structure, as its location. I'd seen countless photos of this landmark, not to mention movies that had scenes in the general vicinity of it. All of my exposure to this city and its landmarks was prior to internet information being so readily available. My idea of this tourist stop was that it was in a more open location. Far from spacious, the spot is abutted by buildings, parking lots, streets and trace greenery. I realized the moment I approached the steel attraction that perception is greatly skewed without all the facts. I knew the tower was big, and I'd known there were garden-esque areas nearby, I just had no clear comprehension of how the two were in such contrast until I actually saw it with my own eyes.
Nearly everything in life can lead to the same type of skewed impressions. We draw conclusions or concoct comfortable scenarios about a number of things, and we base our actions and inactions on what we believe or have chosen to believe, and all too often our foundations aren't made of the material we allowed ourselves to think they were. Sadly, we make this same mistake in relation to the people we know; particularly when we first meet them. Maybe it's because most of us need something to tether us to something solid, giving us the security to make choices, form opinions, and in general, live.
I am completely aware that the view through my back door is an illusion, and any conclusions I may draw that are somehow impacted by that picture, also take all that lies beyond that narrow view into consideration. Whatever I believe about someone or something, I try not to form such a rigid point of view that I cannot be flexible if new information comes to light. Loosening up the grip on whatever anchors me to this life might just make the difference between being alive and experiencing life.
I like the theme of this post--the idea of illusion--and things not being what they seem. Much of what orders my time to think and reflect has been on the theme of alternative narratives--and learning to look beyond the trite and typical; the "illusion" of what we think we are seeing, hearing, and even reading.
ReplyDeleteI've found rural places intriguing. Yes, they allow for open spaces and often, lack of people--I'm not sure it always translates into lack of connectivity. While I love the hum and hubbub of urban spaces, sometimes the superficial nature of larger urban spaces and people's "distance" is off-putting to me. Greater-Portland on the other hand, while urban for Maine, seems more like a bigger version of a small town.
I've been considering the idea of binary concepts being so dominant in our everyday communication, particularly those framed by the corporate media.
I have enjoyed discovering your blog and reading your daily musings about life.
I'm glad you enjoy reading my little collection of thoughts. It's always interesting to me to hear (or rather read) how someone else interprets or receives the ideas or rantings I share here. Often times a person's input will add fuel to that thought process or even unveil an aspect I had not previously considered. I do agree that Greater Portland is more a bigger version of town life, and likely all the 'urban' this girl can stay connected to at this point in my life.
DeleteAs for the idea of binary concepts, I find much of my current life is spent weighing or considering each end of the spectrum with a number of issues or veins of thought. I would agree that this is a fairly prevalent occurrence today, though there seems to be an upsurge in the consideration of more than two perspectives...which is often something interwoven into my posts.