Maintaining composure when multiple things arise or go the opposite as one would like requires practice, and above all, patience. I've always been a reactionary person, so 42 years in, this is a feat I am still working on. Today I managed several unexpected things better than I might have a year ago, surprising myself in the process.
At some point I think it helps to be able to do snap, or 'quick' assessments in order to keep an even mood and timely redirection of emotions when issues pop up or the unexpected happens. Dwelling on the negative aspects just serves to ensure anything that comes after the disappointing occurrence will become a weight that drags a person down, and not a strand in the rope that could pull them back to a more positive place. Swift navigation, not haste; anticipating and reacting accordingly not overreacting.
Nearly everything in my life that has seemingly gone awry has always managed to come back around and work itself out. Initially, it can be stressful at times, but in the big picture most of those things weren't worth the headache and frustration I allowed them to churn up. I might not refrain from reacting a bit stronger than I should, but I have found the dimmer switch to adjust my reaction quickly. Hey, it's decent progress.
Inconvenient and maddening as today's events may have been, I didn't overreact, I was still able to focus on life's bigger picture, and I was aware of new experiences and interactions with the people around me. In other words, negativity was not the focal point and it didn't overwhelm me. All in all, I'd say this was a really good day that just had a couple hiccups.
No comments:
Post a Comment