Doing what I do for a living, I have experienced my share of spontaneous tears from clients. Sometimes I see it coming, but most of the time I am briefly caught off guard when the crying begins. In those moments, I stop whatever I may be talking about or doing and reach out physically, offer sympathy and a listening ear, reassuring each person that sometimes we just have to let it all out. In a busy salon, it can be more than a little challenging to maintain a client's privacy, but it can be done.
Whether my job and the interpersonal skills spill over into my personal life or not, people seem to trust me with all manner of private information. I don't mind, at least not since I figured out that it is a compliment, and one that's about more than flattery. When another person extends trust in me to be vulnerable, it's tough to not feel the weight and amazement that trust carries. It's becomes part of who I am, and if I can be the safe person for someone, I'm honored to be that.
There are moments when the tears, frustration and sadness cannot be contained. We would all do better to pay attention to what our bodies and souls are telling us and just let it all out. A lighter, happier state of being awaits all who do.
No comments:
Post a Comment