Once in a while, I have a day that challenges me. The stress, self-doubt, and irritations that I typically overcome, seem to vie for control. Positive and negative energies wrestling it out. Lucky for me there are a plethora of music choices to match whatever mood I'm in. And music always makes every mood better for me.
Hands down the worst thing I can do, I've found, is sitting around and overthink things. So, I push myself to do something. At first it can be something trivial like fold laundry or clean, and eventually, I move on to chores or activities that require more focus. Often before half the day has passed I've left whatever negative energy I woke up with behind me.
Today was a Motörhead kind of day. I channeled all the stress of emotional overload and frustration over my seriously depleted fitness level into every incomprehensible syllable that Lemmy laid on my ears. Fueling the purge were the likes of Overkill, The Hammer, Waiting For The Snake and of course, The Ace Of Spades. Bye, Bye Bitch Bye Bye (one of the few songs I can actually understand most of the lyrics to) made it relatively easy to say goodbye to all the shit that seemed to want to stick around today.
Nothing banishes a crappy mood or negative state of mind better (for me) than the heavy stuff. I don't know quite how to explain it, but the heavier, more guitar filled the music, the more extensive the soul cleansing. The hows and whys this particular method works for me aren't of any real importance, I just love that it works at all.
After a day of heavy auditory therapy, I feel far more like the upbeat me I've grown accustomed to being. Whatever works to get a person out of their funk shouldn't be scrutinized; if it isn't hurting anyone, roll with it. I know I'm far better off cranking the loud stuff, and it doesn't cost as much as a therapist.
No comments:
Post a Comment