The more I choose to put effort into experiencing and enjoying the world around me, the better I feel about every part of life. I find it easier to laugh about things that would have stressed me into a negative cloud a few years ago. More importantly, in situations I'd rather not be in or interacting with people I'd prefer to avoid, I'm able to find something redeeming which makes the time pass less grudgingly.
Doing what I do, I cross paths with people that I could have gone the rest of my life never meeting. It might seem harsh, but the reality is we can't mesh well with everyone that comes into our lives. Some people, in my opinion, are simply there to challenge us. And no matter who we are, we all fill that role for someone else. I'm sure there are a number of people who just don't 'get' me, and react in the same way I do when interaction with me is unavoidable. If they allow life to shape them, instead of drag them down, getting through less-than desirable moments isn't as irritating as it would be otherwise.
The easiest way to get through uncomfortable situations for me is to find something, anything about a person that is interesting. Then I direct all my focus on that instead of adding to the list of why I would rather not share air with that person. Occasionally even that tactic doesn't work long enough to get me through, and that's where all those awesome friends and family come in. If all else fails, I count the blessings of everyone I couldn't imagine living without and who make all life's lessons that much more valuable.
No comments:
Post a Comment