Monday, March 31, 2014

I Don't Care What Anyone Says, Mammograms Are Excruciating

Rainy, damp weather. There's always something redeeming about days when it rains, and the damp air goes straight through to the bone. It is the perfect for reading, writing, curling up on the couch with a blanket, and of course, hot chowder.

Neither one of my sons has ever liked stews or soups, with the exception of chowder. There is never a problem getting them to eat the stuff. One spoonful and it turns them into eating machines. And no chowder eating would be complete without burning a few tastebuds; I mean, who can wait for it to cool before digging in? Clearly not the three of us!

Dreary weather also makes something like a mammogram not so bad. No, that's a lie. Mammograms are hell on earth. No amount of knowing I'm not missing a sunny, beautiful day to get my breasts squashed, mashed, and crushed between two hard, flat surfaces that function like a vice grip could ever make them less awful to endure.

Music, in my world, pairs well with a stormy day. Depending on the type of rain (downpour, drizzle, ongoing showers), I'll listen to anything from Damien Rice to Chevelle and Sevendust. Dark, brooding grooves always put me in the best mood. What can I say, finding the good in what might look not so good at first is something of a pastime. Not to mention a little bit of loud guitar, thundering drums and screaming vocals go a long way towards erasing the mammogram experience.

Sure, I prefer the sun and warm weather, but rain isn't snow and that automatically makes it okay with me. Movie time and another glass of red, after a chat with my first grade teacher via facebook. Social media has some redeeming aspects after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment