Monday, March 24, 2014

A Life Free Of Reading Would Be Hell To Me

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. A good book, a quiet space and the endless possibilities of imagination that an author's words can evoke; what's not to love? I will take a good book over a movie more times than not. Somehow, even though I'm sitting still, not doing anything physical or 'productive', reading feels far more beneficial and justifiable then vegging out to something on TV.

There may be other things that need to get done, but somehow putting them off until later doesn't seem like shirking chores and responsibilities when I'm enthralled in good tale. I think if I hadn't found a vocation that suited me so well in hair, I might well have chosen a profession where reading played a large part. For me, to be able to comprehend the words and ideas of another person simply through reading is one of life's amazing gifts. Literacy is something every person, regardless of gender or socioeconomic background should have. Given how advanced the world has become, it's appalling to me that there are still so many who are illiterate. Certainly there are circumstances that not everyone is able to foresee or work around, but I would like to think we would've been able to make some headway over the last decade. Unfortunately, if all the statistical data paints a reliable picture, the rate of illiteracy in America alone hasn't changed in that time. Somewhere around 32 million Americans are considered illiterate (http://www.statisticbrain.com/number-of-american-adults-who-cant-read/). I find this information saddening.

Were I not able to read, I imagine the quality and relative ease of my every day life would be impacted greatly. Information would not be so readily available, and I'd be relying on hearsay or other's summed up versions of things. My choice in vocation would be whittled down to positions that require no reading, and almost certainly pay below any real living standards. Lacking the ability to read would almost certainly limit me in nearly every facet of life. 

Whenever I encounter someone who doesn't actively read because it was never their 'thing', I'm left feeling upset. I can think of little worse than neglecting or underutilizing something as powerful as literacy, especially when there are still so many who are afforded that same choice. How ungrateful are we that we can take something like the ability to read for granted? 

I have always encouraged my sons to read, though only one does so regularly. I also believe that I need to be an example, which is why I often choose to read in the same room my sons are occupying, whether they are doing homework, on their laptops, or watching TV. When I was younger I didn't always read regularly, though as I've gotten older I find it a fulfilling and necessary part of life enjoyment. My hope is that both my sons will be avid readers and set the bar high for their own children down the road. 

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a good movie or TV show, as long as life is balanced with a healthy amount of reading too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment