I may frequently be a day late and a dollar short, but I usually enjoy whatever I'm doing anyway. As far as I am aware, there will be no prize at the end of life because I showed up on time. I think I prefer the idea that I will be late to my own funeral. Got to pack in as much fun and meaning as I can and that shit will make anyone late. Besides, who in their right mind is so ready to leave this world that they get to their death punctually? Fuck that!
There aren't many days that I'm not trying to get one last thing done before I leave to go somewhere. Inevitably, that makes me late. Honestly, unless it's a job interview, my child or some other relatively time-sensitive event, I have no qualms running late. It isn't a lack of respect, it's more like ambition overload. I always try to challenge how much I can do before I have to be somewhere; despite knowing the resulting consequence of showing up after most everyone else has arrived.
It isn't as though I'm always lagging behind when I should be headed out the door. I have made a much more concerted effort to surprise those who know me well by arriving when I said I would - on rare occasions I'm even early. Of course, the thing about those of us who are known for being chronically late is, we can't really let people think we've officially turned over a new leaf and have changed our ill-timed ways. I will likely always be late more often than I am on time. And I'm completely fine with that. If you're consistent at something, why change it?
Ha ha ha ha ha!! True that my dear daughter.
ReplyDelete