Whether you're family, friends or just met, listening can be invaluable, as having clarity means there will eventually be understanding. Without open channels for both expressing and listening, we are only half invested. We miss cues, important information and risk causing unnecessary turbulence in our lives by failing to listen well.
It's the same for the workplace. If people neglect to stay active in their listening, what gets misconstrued can cause discord and lead to stress, not to mention resentful feelings. When I try to communicate with co-workers and higher upswing, I expect that I will at least be granted the same level of focus and attention that I extend when I need to listen.
However irritating I may find it when I am not heard clearly, or it becomes obvious nothing I said was heard, it won't affect my continued effort to listen well. I much prefer good working relationships, much like I enjoy socially, long term and romantically. And listening is the first, best practice to ensure those things happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment