A low-key day can often be one of the best kinds of days. The older I get, the more often I find I choose to let the hours unfold as they will. After planning, scheduling and staying busy all week long, a day with no specific commitments and the freedom to just go with the flow is a great change of pace.
Last year, the boys and I celebrated Mother's Day a day early, as my oldest son works a double shift every Sunday. We had a crazy, packed schedule, but it was so much fun. This year it just didn't work out that way. I was able to spend time with my youngest, combining prom shopping with more relaxing activities over the entire weekend. Much as I missed my oldest being part of it all, the reality is that in a few short years I may not get to spend much time at all with either of them. Once they are on their own, they will have their own busy lives to keep up with.
I've gotten better at accepting that while it's nice to have a special day to celebrate, the ability to do so exists year-round. My little family of three still experiences more moments of togetherness than I ever imagined possible as the boys reach adulthood. I am always grateful for the time we do get to spend together and try to leave the disappointment aside when things don't work out the way I hope.
A designated day to appreciate, celebrate and honor the people we love is a nice idea, but taking the initiative to create opportunities to show our love, however, whenever and wherever is what these relationships we hold dear truly need. I know that I never have to wait for a specific day to know that my sons love and appreciate me, and my loved ones never have to wait to know that I love and value them either. Whether it's a big celebration or a simple gesture that acknowledges what a person means, don't wait for some day on a calendar to show how you feel. Create many special moments throughout life.
No comments:
Post a Comment