Sunday, May 29, 2016

I Finally Got Tired Of Feeling Like Shit

The week's cooking is done and the dishes are cleaned and put away. It was never my goal to prep cook on Sundays, but as I am currently following a restrictive nutrition plan for gut health, it is not only necessary, it helps ensure that I won't easily stray, and eat foods that my digestion isn't ready for just yet. As much as I didn't enjoy spending half the day in the kitchen, I've become used to it and have managed to cut my time down to about three hours — that is not only doable, it's an accomplishment I won't soon dismiss.

I've found that the commitment and determination that I have for working out has been beneficial in this exploration of food for healing. My digestive system has suffered for a number of years due to the over indulgence of foods that were just too rough on my gut. As a result, I've gone from being diagnosed with an onion allergy to gluten sensitivity and eventually, GERD and IBS. Far too many problems that all trace back to one common answer: specific carbohydrates. Carbs, particularly simple or processed carbs, aggravate acid reflux, indigestion, gas, bloating and even constipation. I'll be frank here, none of these is desirable and they all plagued me far more frequently than they should have or than I would have liked. When you're bloated, gassy or uncomfortable from less frequent trips to the loo followed by far too many, socializing — hell, just existing is not enjoyable.

I weighed the inconvenience and pain, considering how long I could tolerate living with each and came to realize that feeling good was something I no longer wanted to compromise on. Of course, identifying the offending foods and giving my body a break from the ill-effects I'd been subjecting it to for much too long hasn't been easy. This approach to nutrition as treatment for these ailments has tested my will and sticktoitiveness. I mean, it's nearly summertime and having to refrain from consuming many of my favorite foods at parties, cookouts or even dining out is something I am less than enthused about. It's been all I can do to avoid the cupcakes, cookies, chips and trail mix we keep in the house. Carrying food with me, food that has been specifically prepared for optimal digestion, has taken getting used to. Why would I continue this plan given the sacrifice and inconvenience? For the first time in a long while, I feel good. I mean, really feel good. There's no having to consider if I can leave the house and the vicinity of the bathroom, I feel energized and ready to do whatever happens to come up because I'm not weighted down with bloat or indigestion. As much as I didn't want to admit it, feeling good is worth the price of a limited diet.

Whether I manage to stick to this plan for the long term, or I modify it where I feel I can, remains to be seen. For the time being I will continue to add foods back in one at a time and assess how I react to them in an effort to find the things that cause me issue. Knowing that will certainly make living a normal life and eating without apprehension of consequence far more possible. For the moment, that is all I need to know to stay on track and dedicated to treating my body better — on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment