Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Sometimes The Biggest Accomplishment Is Just Maintaining Your Course

Every so often I go through a day that seems to challenge me at every turn. It isn't as though anything particular set this into motion — at least nothing overtly obvious. There are just times when everything I touch, move or attempt to do falls short of what I intend. It's amazing that nothing was broken and I'm in one piece given the way most of this day unfolded.

It would be easy to give into the frustrations and allow the negative thoughts to take over, but I have no interest in traveling backward on my path. There is nothing for me in that way of life, which is why I left it to begin with. That doesn't mean I won't ever feel the pull of giving into the self-doubt and nay-saying. I like to think of it as part-test, part-reminder.

Right about the time that my printer turned on and starting printing for no apparent reason and the paper I picked up off the floor continued to fall from the spots I tried placing it, I almost let the crap of day win. Almost, but not quite. I allowed myself a couple of deep breaths, picked up the paper again and opted for another place to store it. This time, it stayed. I hadn't let the frustration catapult me over the edge, back into pessimism, and the issue was officially resolved. If there was ever an argument for like behavior attracting like circumstances, I'd say that one qualifies as a decent example.

I interacted with others throughout the day and managed to resist the urge to piss and moan about how crappy everything seemed. Negativity is just one fire I don't make a practice of feeding. It happens occasionally, but by focusing on my resolve to rise above it I can stamp it out fairly quickly. I've accepted that this day wasn't one of my better days, but I'm also thankful that a year from now — hell, even a month from now, I won't be able to recall it. Partly because nothing much happened other than needling moments, and also because I refused to let it become something I'd commit to memory.

Today was a day that served it's purpose; giving me something to reflect on, recommit to and resist all at the same time. Pessimistic attitudes serve no good role save as a reminder of what does not help you achieve your goals. As the day comes to an end, I feel lighter and like I've cleared an obstacle. Tomorrow is another day and I plan to meet it free of whatever lingering sludge this day might attempt to throw at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment