Friday, May 13, 2016

I'm Mom And I Approve

I love that everyone seems to think highly of my sons. They really are pretty well put together kids, but I'll be honest, sometimes they're assholes. Of course, they only ever show that side of themselves to each other and me, so I can't really complain. Still, they can be complete assholes. 

No matter how dickish they can be, the truth of the matter is that they learned to be assholes from watching other people. Since I have been their only involved parent for the past few years that means I'm the one who inadvertently schooled them in the art form of being unyieldingly sarcastic. Much as I hate to admit it, they get more than just good qualities from me. 

The best thing about my relationship with them is that I can just tell them straight up that their attitude sucks ass and it needs to change. I don't candy-coat that shit; they are old enough to hear it the way I would tell anyone else. More often than not it ends up opening a conversation or changing the weight of the mood, so I think I'm good with my choice of parenting style.

Currently, however, my youngest, who didn't appreciate my laughing at his pissy attitude earlier is sitting on the opposite side of the room. He's trying hard to make a point, but this is where he forgets he learned to be irritable and indignant from me. Sad as that is to say, I know all the tricks. No guilt taking hold over here, haha. He'll come around. Partly because he can't stay mad for long, but also because he knows that I always have his best interests in mind and nothing I do is ever done to his detriment. 

Neither of the boys likes that I keep tabs on them, but I am always the first person they go to when they need something or someone. They don't like when I kiss them, but on the rare occasions they need a hug, they know they can come to mom. My kids can be assholes, but at least they are the kind of asshole that's mom approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment