It's been a bit of a strange week. Not the least of which has been the dietary changes I've recently taken on. I can say, quite confidently, that after three days as a vegan, I have zero interest in ever giving up meat again. I can live without dairy for the time being, but meat...that is the very foundation of what I consume. Thankfully, that was just a system reset prior to beginning the elimination diet I started today. Painstaking though it may get to be at times, I already feel better than I have in months.
I tend to listen to my body these days. I'm in tune to the things it likes and doesn't like, though years of ignoring all that have landed me where I am at this moment. When I could no longer pinpoint why I was feeling awful on a regular basis no matter what I ate, I started looking for a direction and came across the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). This isn't a fad, lose 10lbs in 5 hours kind of thing; it's an incredibly restrictive type of elimination diet that allows your body to heal and rest from years of inflammation and food related irritation. As much as it sucks only being able to eat a few things right now, if I finally feel normal again the slow introduction of other foods will be worth it in the long run.
If only I were so good about listening to myself when I know I'm packing a few too many things into days that are already overflowing with errands, work and other obligations. Maybe then I would actually have more time for the more enjoyable aspects of my current life. What I really mean to say is that I would much prefer to do only the things I enjoy doing in life, on my timeline and without all that pesky responsibility getting in the way. Who doesn't, right?
The good thing is that no matter what happens down the road, I can always admit that I may have bitten off more than I can chew and rectify the situation straight away. Until that moment arises, I'll just keep playing my own personal, living version of Jenga with my life and own the experiences that it brings. I might be eating boring food this summer, but that won't keep me from having fun. The busy I've just reintroduced myself to may just cut my beach time down to nearly none, but my older self will be thanking me when the wrinkles aren't so bad ;P It's a win all around, no matter how I look at it.
No comments:
Post a Comment