Sunday, May 22, 2016

No Matter How Long, A Fresh Look Every So Often Is Always A Good Idea

As Sundays go, this one was relatively quiet. I never thought I'd get the opportunity to kick back and relax so soon after wishing for a low-key day, but the Universe apparently thought I'd earned it. I kept busy, just not overly so, and the resulting effect has been a sort of recharge.

After last week's craziness, getting the chance to slow down significantly was just the break I needed before taking on another Monday. I haven't picked up a book to read today, but I spent quality time with family and my best friend, and neither of those is to be scoffed at. Particularly when the time between seeing these people is just far too long.

During the course of the early afternoon, I learned a thing or two about a thing or two. What I learned and where the lesson came from is unimportant. The important thing is that I saw a person I have known for years in a completely different light. No, that's not quite right. It isn't that I didn't know these things, but I actually got to see a side of this person I had only heard existed. When someone is private or just so laid back that they don't always appear to be passionate about anything in their life, we forget or neglect to realize that what we don't easily see does still exist.

This realization reminded me that it's always a good thing to come out of your own head to really interact with and see people for who they are, what makes them tick and to explore the depth of the friendship or relationship based on those things, instead of whatever preconceived ideas you may have held for years that no longer apply.

Life changes and so do the people around you. We are shaped by the way we react and move forward from experiences, and the result is never constant. There is always something more to learn about the people you surround yourself with, even if you've known them nearly your entire life. Don't miss out on the opportunity to know how complex these people truly are because you hold on to your own images of them for far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment