Sunday, June 1, 2014

I Choose To Be A Mother, Not A Warden

I'm halfway through my oldest son's first road trip, and I'm faring far better than I would ever have anticipated. Knowing he will be returning in a couple of days is the major reason this mama has remained calm. This has thus far been a nice, first step into an eventual life without my son living at home.

It is highly unlikely that I will reach the point of empty nest without shedding tears. The fact that I can feel excited and happy for one of my children, without the need to be a part of every waking second is something that reassures me I will be alright in the end. That kind of reassurance is priceless.

The only time I have been apart from my children was when I had to be away for business, or because they've been at a sleepover. This experience is the first of its kind, and I know it won't be the last. I discovered that giving my sons the freedom to have fun, to have their own life without me knowing every last detail keeps them close to me in the only way that truly counts.

My boys spend time with me, talk to me, and respect me because I never coerce them. There is nothing more difficult than being a parent and recognizing when to step back and allow your children to spread their wings. Being able to get beyond the fear and apprehension of the unknown actually makes it possible to embrace the best part of parenthood: watching all the time, energy, and love you've invested reach out to touch a world only your children can explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment