Even the best laid plans fall short sometimes. Despite the fact that I did not make it to the Old Port Festival, I managed to accomplish and enjoy a number of other things today just the same. There was time to write, sun worshiping, and time with the boys. Can't complain about things like that.
As I laid in the bright sun, contemplating whether or not to go in the cold water, I found it more worthwhile to watch the activity on the beach. Little ones screaming and laughing, adults walking by, having conversations or chasing toddlers around to keep them busy and happy ... all of these were competing volume-wise with the crashing of the waves as they rolled in. A few birds joined the mix, which caused me to wonder exactly what it all would sound like if it were just me, the birds and the ocean.
Try as I may, I didn't have much success imagining that kind of solitude. Instead, I witnessed a young couple arrive, and lay down their blanket shortly after an older couple did the same. The older couple were attempting to set up a beach tent with little success. The young man turned and offered to help them set up without hesitation. This entire exchange made me smile, because it was the best example of the continued existence of thoughtful people. I have no doubts my own sons would act in the same manner as this guy did, and there is no doubt he was also raised well. The older couple was comical throughout the undertaking, as the 'pop-up tent' was not nearly as easy as the instructions (yes, he read them aloud) indicated it would be. I laughed to myself, as I know all too well how complicated the supposed 'easy' things end up being.
I packed up to leave shortly after this, still smiling because human decency is alive and well. This very thought has carried me through the rest of the day; the perfect kind of focus positive energy flow needs. These are the little things that are far too easily missed day to day, and they are what makes up the threads of the reality we all live in. Simple doesn't mean unimportant; on the contrary, it's the purest of experiences and should never be overlooked.
No comments:
Post a Comment