Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sometimes We Take Socializing For Granted

Ever have one of those days when someone tries your patience? I mean, without doing anything wrong. There's just something about them that taxes you beyond comfort. It's usually a challenge for me to tough those moments out, but I manage to do a little better all the time.

There are people who cross my path through work that require extra time in my chair. Not because I've screwed up, but because they need someone to listen. Despite the utter lack of interest I may have in what they are telling me, or the fact that the extra allotment of time infringes on my ability to earn a living, I typically force myself to engage them.

The sad truth in most of these situations is that the person droning on about their life and all it's nuances has few people who entertain their need to be heard and interact. The lack of an outlet in their relationship (should they be in one) and friendships, causes a desperation that leads to overdoing it. When I listen to my clients, I try to listen to the off-hand comments or inferences before becoming annoyed by the nonstop conversations. More often than not this tells me they are either in abusive or neglectful relationships. Other than taking up my time, what is wrong with what they are doing? The answer I have found is nothing. While I may be able to think of a hundred things I could be doing besides being their audience of one, I'm quick to remind myself that part of what I do (and truly part of having human decency) is giving my time and attention to those around me who need it.

I don't have to love it, but it helps to accept that sometimes being there - even if just as a listening ear, is the most important thing I can do at that moment. While some individuals may have made choices that led them to their state of loneliness, it doesn't mean I have to refuse them entrance into a social environment. After all, I've spent time on far more frivolous and inconsequential things. Sometimes the biggest gift you can give another person is your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment