Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Jimmy Stewart Said It Best

There is something incredible about being able to respond to my son's what was the worst part of your day question with "I didn't really have a worst part." These kind of days are what all the positive reconditioning are about. To be able to enjoy every part of a day from the moment I wake up, until the moment I fall asleep, that is what makes it all worthwhile.

Nothing extraordinary occurred over the course of the last thirteen hours. No big, exciting news; no fabulous surprise, nothing. It was just a fluid kind of day...seamless. Of course the fact that my oldest son made it home safe from his mini road trip to NYC has been the height of my night.

If I stop and think about it, I experience more days like this than I realize. Without a doubt, this is one of the top reasons I love my life as much as I do. It is far too easy to get wrapped up in the ugly stuff that can occur, and much easier to recall that stuff than to remember specific good moments. The positive things, especially when they are simple, should be viewed in a way that makes a bigger impact than the negative.

I could more than likely list off a number of less than stellar moments over the past couple of weeks, but if I'm honest with myself, exactly how many good things can I recall? And more importantly, how close would that list of good come to the list of bad? The fact that I can just simply appreciate an entire day and chalk it up to great is promising. It isn't that I'm likely to forget the not-so-great experiences, I just think working to focus on the better things allows even more good in, completely changing my overall outlook. It certainly is a wonderful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment