Monday, June 23, 2014

The Sun Seems To Always Want Me To Come Out And Play

Oh were there more hours in the day ... I'd surely continue to spend them less wisely than I know I ought to. I'm unable to resist the sunshine's urging to go out and frolic about in the waves and sand. The call of summer madness has me behaving like a child following the piper's tune. How can I sit inside and write productively when there is beautiful weather and the promise of peaceful relaxation outside my door?

Regardless of how good the excuse of fresh air and vitamin D might be, the end result is that I'm procrastinating. I certainly don't have time to procrastinate, as I should be so immersed in the world I've been working to create that I can resist the temptations of distractions in this world. (Sigh) I am still a work in progress when it comes to discipline.

It definitely doesn't help concentration and focus, spending a couple of hours in the sun. I could go to sleep for the night right now, and it is far too early for that. I was close to going out for a drink, but remembered that I've made a commitment to write more and go out MUCH less. And now I'm beating my head against an imaginary wall trying to find a writing groove.

I suppose I might attempt to approach this focus issue the way I do with working out; start with a less overwhelming word count expectation or goal, and work up to more. Clearly there are no word counts in an exercise regime, but you know what I mean. It would be amazing if I could categorize my thoughts, since half my issue seems to be erratic ideas. There's just way too much going on in this brain. Certainly would be a great time to figure out how I could utilize that other 80 percent we humans are rumored not to use. In truth, I just need to learn how to maximize my time and filter my thoughts to the task at hand. And maybe start make good use of the overactive mind I get when I'm about to go to sleep.

Isn't sleep overrated or something? Well, I know what isn't overrated and that's quality sun time and socializing with good people. Got to figure if I cut those things out completely I won't likely be in any mindset to create at all. Got fuel the imagination and the spirit!


No comments:

Post a Comment