Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Send-off And A First Time Celebration

There are many better ways to spend a beautiful weather day than family. If I'm going to be with people to celebrate an occasion or milestone, my family is where it's at. There is always an easy going undercurrent, making it a relaxing and memorable experience.

My mother and stepfather are retiring in a few short weeks, and then hitting the road with their fifth-wheel in tow for Alaska. While I myself have zero desire to ever visit that state, their excitement about the trip is contagious. This will be the first time in 21 years that I won't be able to 'visit' my mother at will. I talk to her daily, and see her nearly once a week; a routine that has long been part of my life. When I am out running errands or grabbing lunch, there will no longer be the pop-in visit to see her at work. That, mixed with the two of them being of retirement age has me shaking my head, wondering how so much time could have passed already.

Certainly, this adventure is one we are all excited for, as each of them has worked hard all their life. The prospect of keeping up with their travels through my mother's blog is also something I'm looking forward to. And thankfully, in this day and age, they are just a phone call away. I believe we all would find it difficult to go three months without talking to or hearing from one another.

Our small get-together to celebrate Father's Day as a family (for the first time since my step-father completed our family), and give them a send-off was full of chatter and laughter. The grandchildren had an epic water balloon fight while most of the adults sat on the porch and watched. One of my brother-in-laws incited an all out splash or be splashed challenge when he brought out cups filled with icy water. Fully clothed, nearly every single kid was soaked, though the weather was warm enough they dried off quickly. Watching it all, I realized that this would be a memory all of us will share.

It was the kind of gathering that promises to tide us over until our own dynamic duo returns from their exploration. But then I would say looking back over the years, most of our get-togethers are full enough to take us through the weeks between seeing each other. It's no wonder even the toughest moments in life have been far less troubling to weather; there is always something good to recall and remind me what truly has the bigger, longer-lasting effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment