Tonight I lost track of time and kept my poor son waiting outside of work for a ride home. I immediately felt intense parental guilt and totally owned my fuck-up. It was by no means intentional, as I might run a minute or two late, but I'm never seemingly MIA when my kids need me. Thank GAWD for Uber.
I definitely get sidetracked in life by various tasks, though tonight was a bit different. Of course, my kid was aware of the circumstances, and once he was reassured that I was fine and had not met some awful misfortune the intentional guilt-trip joking began. The good news is if he's poking fun at me and the situation he is completely fine with the fact that I kept him waiting for far longer than typical.
So just what had me so rapt that I lost track of time? The Red Sox, Big Papi and a set of entrancing bluish eyes. The second game in this series against the Yankees proved to move far more quickly than games I've watched in the past. Before I knew it, it was top of the 7th and I was 8 minutes overdue for my parental obligation to transport my child from work to home. Big Papi had just hit a homerun and the conversation swirled around this looking to be another big year for him. The entrancing, bluish eyes belong to this year's biggest surprise from the Universe. No, I'm not about to dish...at least not yet.
Just another testament to parenting done right, my son is sitting next to me on the couch, watching the last inning and a half of the game and has relented in his quest to heap on the guilt. Of course, I'm not sure how much of the game he's actually catching over the messages and snapchats that are blowing up his phone, but I'm not about to complain given my big miss of the evening.
No matter what the mistake I may make is, I have been blessed with children who are forgiving of my mistakes and fuck-ups because they know that I am never intending to affect their lives negatively. They are the reason I wake up every morning and put my best efforts toward whatever presents itself that day. Occasionally, I am reminded that even the most focused and dedicated of parents slips up and has to own their blunder. Far from allowing this to linger, I am choosing to see it as a challenge to do better and stay more on track with the parenting path I have been forging since my oldest son was born. And I'm fairly certain that I can do that and continue to be enthralled by intense, bluish eyes. I'm also pretty sure that my sons are more than okay with the reprieve my split focus has given them from the usual mom-isms and endless guidance.
No comments:
Post a Comment