There is no denying I'm near exhaustion after the past two days of driving. There was quite a bit to absorb and digest regarding the last 8 days, though I'm happy to have experienced all of it. No matter how tired I may be or how much I may have missed while I was away, I couldn't possibly regret taking time out of my routine-based life to do something like take a road trip with my youngest son.
I will say that coming home and seeing my oldest son after not having seen him in 8 long days was just as gratifying. I love both of my sons more than life itself, so it really isn't surprising to me (no matter how foreign the concept may seem to them) that I don't tire of their company and am elated to see them when days have passed away from them. They aren't little the energy and life suckers that they were early in life. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved them, but these days I enjoy their company far more because they are (for the most part) independent. Time with them now is time spent getting to know who they are becoming, and not so much about making sure all their needs are met every minute of the day.
Mother of the year I am not, nor do I ever aspire to be. I use foul language in my interactions and conversations with my kids and have zero issues with them articulating themselves similarly. The bond we have isn't something either of them would willingly admit to someone, but it is evident in all of the actions, specifically those pertaining to their brother or myself. I am beyond proud of each of these men I have raised. While I may insist on referring to them as boys, they have long left that stage of life behind.
Life has presented me with more opportunities to bond and build relationships with my children than I could ever have hoped to be able to take advantage of. I don't plan on wasting any of those possibility-infused moments, no matter how much either of them feigns disgust or impatience. Some day they will be able to look back on these times as fondly as I will, and we can all reap the rewards of those strong bonds between us.
It's good to be home and surrounding myself with these new experiences and memories. Life is full, it is wonderous and I cannot imagine being anywhere else than I am right now. Home is where both of my children are, everywhere else is just icing on the cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment