Saturday, April 16, 2016

College Tours, Long Distance Driving, And Attitudes

I've got a homebody for a son. He is so resistant to traveling, no matter how we choose to get where we are going. This can cause some friction because he doesn't even try to hide his negative emotions about it.

The first 6 hours of driving went well, I'm part because he wasn't thinking about anything except touring Temple U. The tour was great - though I've never been on a campus tour , so I have no real point of reference. The teen seemed to be both entranced and overwhelmed all at the same time. Without hesitation, he put this school at the top of his list. 

The second 6 hours of driving weren't so enjoyable. From bumper-to-bumper stretches to overall frustration with one another, this was the downside of road tripping with a kid who hates travel. Thankfully, we managed to stave off an all-out war and made it to the hotel, too tired to argue about anything.

As much as he has said he doesn't want to drive like this, I know he will be grateful we made the trek and he got to experience campuses of schools he's considering when it comes time to make the decision of where he will go. He will also be thankful for seeing so much more of the East Coast than a number of kids his age. As for me, I will treasure the memories of spending an entire week with my youngest child, taking in the possibilities of his future education. Even if he's nit-picky and complains a lot ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment