It feels like I've been writing all day. Wait, I have been writing all day. Blog post, challenge group post, work, open letter (will post later) and a little book writing, now another blog post. It's a good think I work out six days a week — all this sitting would make me flabby otherwise.
I commented to someone earlier that I couldn't write as fast as the thoughts were coming. He responded that it was a good problem to have, and for a writer this is both true and not so true. True because it means that my mind is in the creative zone, but not so true because so much of what I want to say is being missed. If I could just file the overflow away for later and not lose the words, I'd be ridiculously happy. Since that just isn't possible, I will have to accept that it is a good problem to have. I mean, the alternative is I sit in front of a blank screen without writing a thing for hours. Not the way I like to roll at all.
Much of the material I've been writing lately is dark. There isn't a way around that when you're writing about rape. Of course, there are moments when the gist of my words hits on a positive thought related to the whole experience, and I certainly want to make sure there is enough of that in this book. The challenge is I have to start by writing the more uplifting, positive things, because if I've delved into the harder, more serious points, it's going to take a day or two leave that dark cloud behind. That is the nature of a topic like that.
I'm incredibly passionate about words. Sometimes they just flow from my head to my fingertips without effort, needing almost no editing. Other times I as though I have to rearrange and reword everything several times to get to the point I'm trying to make. It's rare there's a day when I fall somewhere in the middle. Today was a reword/rearrange kind of day, and as much as I produced, I know had it been a smoother process I would have had a much bigger output. That said, the end result when I look at all I managed to write today is impressive. I'll take that and be content for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment