Thursday, April 21, 2016

I'm Not A Fan Of Goodbyes, But I Know It Isn't Forever

I'm at a loss this evening. Trying to choose a topic for this post. The obvious subject would be leaving my friends and heading home, knowing it will be some time before we get to spend time together again, but frankly, I'm feeling pretty sad about that. I've had a fantastic time and I don't want to focus on the not so awesome stuff.

I suppose that friendship in general is a good place to start. While I have said it many times before, I am always aware and appreciative of the friendships I have experienced in my life. People come into our lives for any number of reasons, and one would hope that we are able to see the contributions that these people can make in our lives, as well as the impact we can have on others' lives. I am grateful for the lessons and the memories each friend has brought into my world, particularly those who are still a part of it.

I love that there are a handful of people who, no matter how much time has passed, will always be able to pick up where we left off. There is never awkward silences or pauses to find something more to say. It's essentially easy to find the groove of what once was the theme of interactions, and that is the best evidence that the roots of a friendship run deep. A few of my high school friends will always be a big part of my life. They, like me, have made an effort to use social media to an advantage and stay in touch. We interact via the cyber world because distance keeps us apart, but the interactions have the depth of the relationship we forged all those years ago.

When I am able to get face time with these people, it's great! The past week I got to reconnect with an amazing person and long-time friend in between college visits with my son. What is even better is my son was able to take part in this 'reunion' of sorts, adding another element to our friendship. I was able to get to know her cousin and godson and that gave the experience extra dimension. Memories were certainly made this week, all of the treasurable kind. Thank you Alaina, T, Johnny and John. Riley and I had a fantastic time and you all made us feel welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment