Friday, April 22, 2016

Conversations That Might Otherwise Never Come About

Being stuck in a car with another person for twelve hours can make for an interesting time. Close quarters can certainly cause discontent and friction, particularly if outside elements factor in. Traffic, stressful driving situations and inclement weather challenge even the most even-tempered of us. Long trips like this also give people the opportunity to delve deeper into conversations they might otherwise skim over or avoid altogether.

Given this trip was centered around college visits, my son and I discussed his future and how what he does in his present, and near future will set up the path to where he wants to be when he graduates college. It was an honest talk that brought out my blunt side, and as much as he wanted to tune me out, he stayed engaged. With a little bit of time and distance, I have little doubt he will do what needs to be done to ensure he stays his path and succeeds. It is tough realizing that my window for advice and guidance is slowly closing with respect to this part of his life. Even more difficult to curb the urge to bombard him with every piece of knowledge and direction I have amassed in life.

On the flip side of this is the fact that we were even able to have such a deep and meaningful conversation, as parents and teens don't often practice constructive communication. I do believe that despite his fruatrations with me he sees that I have hisnbeatbintereats in mind and knows that there is credence to my words. There will never be another opportunity where he will be so receptive at this point in his life - something I am keenly aware of. With that in mind, I have had to fine tune my usual enthusiastic (read fanatical parental) delivery. 

Intermixed in the serious-type discussions have been goofy moments singing songs and snapchatting things along our way. I think he's gained a bit more admiration toward me when it comes to driving, as he has frequently asked how I can be behind the wheel for such long stretches of time. I've opened up a bit more about my life before he and his brother; something he has remarked that I haven't done often in his life. I suppose that's something I should rectify before neither of the boys is interested.

I just had a request to have another conversation because it passes this time, so I will stop for the night and accommodate my child's wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment