A number of things occurred yesterday that had the potential to put me in a foul mood. Aside from the initial stir of emotion each caused, my thinking quickly changed to rising above it. In the grand scheme of the day, let alone life, none of it really mattered enough to expend perfectly good energy on.
With the exception of intense, awful events, there isn't much that can happen in the course of my day-to-day that would warrant investing my focus and risking a negative mindset takeover. While things might affect me, the extent to which they do is completely within my control. I have the choice to react well and move forward, or let it eat at me and remain mired in anger. I'm going to exercise the former as often as possible.
The only way to really let go is to take control over your reactions. The days of hanging onto my anger and letting it fester, polluting my life with misery are well behind me; something that didn't happen all at once. Chipping away at a negative lifestyle is a slow process, but completely doable. The decision to focus on more positive approaches to hurdles and redirecting the way I think about things makes it far easier to step over the road hazards that sometimes find their way into my life path. With a little distance, thinking back on whatever upheaval might have recently popped up usually reveals that it wasn't worth the loss of time and happiness it would have cost me to fixate on it.
I still react unfavorably at times, and that's something I will continue to work at. Knowing that it happens far less than it once did assures me I'm heading in the right direction — toward my own peaceful happiness. There's something else, not committing energy to something fruitless and negative leaves me much more susceptible to personal breakthroughs I might otherwise have missed. That alone is all the argument I ever need to let the stress that comes with fretting over things that cannot be changed go along it's own way and continue on mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment