Monday, April 25, 2016

I Don't Ever Want To Experience That Fear Again

I am typically an understanding individual. When it comes to my kids, however, I have a hard time being objective. Particularly when someone or something affects them and/or their well-being.

In emergency situations, I'm pretty level-headed. I have my freak-out/meltdown session after everything is under control. Today, I was driving my youngest son home from school and we happened upon an accident that Riley immediately identified one of the vehicles as his older brother's. Panic immediately overtook my mind as I scanned the damage to his front end. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until I saw Brayden stand up out of the driver seat and wave me down and exhaled loudly. Relief washed over me as I realized he was okay enough to stand. He didn't appear to be bleeding that I could see as I navigated through cars to circle around and park on a nearby side street. I rushed up to where he stood and got a closer look at the damage to his car.

In true mom-like fashion, I pointed to the sidewalk with one hand and started directing him with the other, as I told him to go sit down. I made sure he was coherent and took pictures of the car. I found myself dumbfounded and grateful that he wasn't hurt. He was stopped and waiting to turn onto another street when he was rear-ended, the force of the impact pushed him into the oncoming traffic he was waiting to pass, and struck again in the front fender. I am still in awe that he wasn't hurt as both vehicles were going at least 35mph. He was shaken up and dazed for sure, and I have no doubt he will be feeling every ounce of the impacts his car suffered tomorrow, but he is in one piece. So very thankful he is in one-piece.

I felt bad for the young woman who caused the accident. She was also visibly shaken up and crying. One of her two dogs had jumped into the front seat and down around her feet, distracting her. I'm not even sure she hit the brakes. The oncoming vehicle had two children in the backseat who where screaming after the impact, my son told me. In all three vehicles, no one walked away with injuries; even the dogs were fine. Everyone was rattled, but no one was hurt. As I sit here writing this, it is hard to wrap my head around. The Universe was clearly operating at frequencies that protected or buffered each of these people from serious harm. Call it what you will, but it's all the same in the end. Everyone remained intact in an accident that typically produces injuries.

I'm going to go sip my bourbon and let that really sink in. My son's car is totaled, but he is whole. My heart couldn't be more grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment