Time has a way of distorting the past. Sometimes for the we remember things worse, but sometimes we recall them as better than they were. General consensus might be that painting things as worse would be the bigger mistake of the two. I don't agree. I believe that when we romanticize and remember roses when there were more thorns, we risk losing the resolve we need to make our present and future better.
There are things that have transpired in my life, events I have been deeply affected by, that I might brush off or gloss over today in conversation. Be it because I don't want to regurgitate the negative emotions associated with those events, or because time has clouded over my true memories, the lessening of the pain created ultimately isn't healthy. Ridding oneself of negative emotions is always good for the soul, but forgetting the real impact they had can undermine positive progress and continuity.
Keeping perspective is far different than holding grudges. By retaining the truest recollections, the risk of repeating or being caught in the same predicaments is reduced. It is possible to be positive without being a doormat. I try to remember as honestly as I can, and live as positively as possible. All that has happened has led to here and now. I'm not carrying the weight with me, but I won't forget how heavy it felt. It reemphasizes the better choices, and assures me I where I am and where I'm going are exactly where I ought to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment