Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Parfait Or Onion, You Can't See All A Person's Layers From The Outside

Every one of us has a story. We've got quirks, issues - secrets few people know about. We are beautifully complex creatures with emotions, thoughts and so much more than anyone could ever tell from just looking at us from the outside.

Why then do we allow ourselves to become upset or form judgments based on the little we often know about another person? It is unfair, and frankly impossible, to expect everyone we encounter to act and react the way we believe we would. For certain there are basic human decency standards that most of us have adopted, but when it comes to specific situations the variables are many, making the possible outcomes great.

When I am fortunate to know a person over a lengthy period of time, I find I come by details that explain behaviors and things I might have found off-putting or confusing years before. Not only do I get a more rounded picture of who they are, I am also reminded that resisting the urge to judge in haste is the best course of action. There are always exceptions to that rule-of-sorts, but overall there might be considerably less misery and discourse if we all practiced restraint in this area.

I hear people talking about their impressions of another person often. It is always most interesting when it is a recollection of the past, coupled with the realization of how skewed their view was back then. When maturity is present, these misconceptions are easily forgiven; when it isn't, grudges continue to block our way.

I am not perfect, nor do I ever want to be. The ability to grow and learn is something I wouldn't trade for anything. A life with less drama, judgment, and resentment is the only way to completely enjoy love, happiness, and genuine friendships that last. I want to have as complete a life as possible. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment